Thursday, July 28, 2011

Erin Boheme



Erin Boheme is a local Jazz artist from Oshkosh, Wis., who grew up listening to her parents’ music and singing in the back seat of her mom’s car. It was then that her dream of being a singer began. She attended Oshkosh West High School and sang in choir, church and participated on the TV show, Star Search.

“It was a very interesting experience,” Boheme said about Star Search. “I learned a lot about the process of how these shows work. The best part about it was meeting some really amazing people that I’m still in contact with.”

 When she was a junior in high school, Boheme signed a deal with Concord Records and moved to Los Angeles, Calif. 

“A friend of mine (who is also an Oshkosh native) and I made a demo together,” Boheme said. “He knew someone at Concord and just wanted to send it in to get a feeling of where I may be at. A month or so later they got back to Mike (Melvoin) and wanted a meeting with me. An hour into the meeting they offered me a deal!”

When she was 18, she released her first album, “What Love Is” in 2006, which was a tribute to one of her biggest influences, Frank Sinatra. This showed her love for traditional jazz. She started touring with well known artists and learned what it was like to get out in the world.

“I think the greatest thing is working with some of the finest musicians in the world,” Boheme said. “I mean, on my first tour, Esperanza Spaulding was the bass player. And look, she just won the Grammy for artist of the year! I am just always learning from them and it’s so exciting to never know what’s just around the corner.”

Boheme toured throughout the U.S., visiting cities such as New Orleans, Boston, New York, Chicago and San Francisco, as well as other countries like Spain and England. She hopes to travel to Holland next.

“My mum is Dutch and I would really like to visit and have that experience,” Boheme said.

Boheme just finished making her second album with Michael Buble, which was recorded in Los Angeles and Vancouver over a five-year period, and will be released in 2012.

“We are looking at February,” Boheme said. “It’s a series of stories of my life, experience, pretty much all to do with love-the joys, the pains, the in between. I think that’s something we all can relate to.”

Buble has been a lot of fun to work with, according to Boheme.

“He’s silly like me…so we had a lot of laughs,” Boheme said. “Luckily, we have been friends for 7 or 8 years now, so it wasn’t something where it was intimidating or unfamiliar. Of course, because of who he is, it was very humbling for me to have him want to be such a tremendous part of this. His musical director, Alan Chang, served as co producer. He’s got a great sensitivity and understanding of the music and he brings a dimension and life to it that may not have existed before.”

Boheme enjoys her career and looks forward to each day, which has been her biggest success.

“I think getting to wake up every day and do what I love,” Boheme said. “They say if you do what you love, you never work a day in your life. It’s so true. Don’t get me wrong, there are struggles and obstacles as with everything in life, but those moments make you appreciate the victories that much more.”

www.concordmusicgroup.com

Where are you from originally?

Oshkosh

How did you get your start?

Singing in the backseat of my Mum's car.

What was it like to be on Star Search?

It was a very interesting experience. I learned a lot about the process of how these shows work. The best part about it was meeting some really amazing people that I'm still in contact with.

Who are your influences?

Frank Sinatra, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Carole King, I could go on and on and on.

Did you get to meet or perform with those artists?

Unfortunately Frank and Antonio have passed, but I did get to meet Carole! She made an album on my label.

How did you get your deal with Concord records?

A friend of mine (who is also an Oshkosh native) and I made a demo together. He knew someone at Concord and just wanted to send it in to get a feeling of where I may be at. A month or so later they got back to Mike (Melvoin) and wanted a meeting with me. An hour into the meeting they offered me a deal! So unexpected!

What got you interested in music?

Growing up listening to it through my parents...thank God they have good taste.

Where was your first gig?

I honestly couldn’t tell you. I do know the first time I sang on a stage was probably in church!

Do you tour? If so, where have you been?

I do in preparation for the release of this album. Starting in January I'll be back to doing shows on the road. I’ve been very blessed to have visited some amazing US cities like New Orleans, Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco and lots of others. I’ve also had the great fortune to travel abroad and sing in places like Spain and England.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Holland. My Mum is Dutch and I would really like to visit and have that experience!

What artists are you currently listening to?

Honestly...guilty, guilty pleasure. There is a Boys II Men Cd in my car right now...greatest hits!

What was one of the most interesting experiences you’ve had on the road?

There is a saying…What happens on the road…Stays on the road. But honestly, I think the greatest thing is working with some of the finest musicians in the world. I mean, on my first tour, Esperanza Spaulding was the bass player and look, she just won the Grammy for artist of the year! She beat Bieber!!! I am just always learning from them and it’s so exciting to never know what’s just around the corner.

When you released your debut album, “What Love Is,” how did you feel?

Excited, scared, happy, all sorts of things. I mean it’s like having a child and then dropping it off at its first day of college! I mean, not that I have done that yet, but I'd imagine. You do everything you can to prepare it and give it all the right elements to be successful and then you let it out there! I’m really excited to do that with this latest album. Very.

When does your new CD come out and what is the story behind it?

We are looking at February 2012! It’s a series of stories of my life. Experience...pretty much all to do with love. The joys, the pains, the in between-I think that’s something we all can relate to!

What was it like to work with Michael Buble?

Fun! He's silly like me, so we had a lot of laughs. Luckily we have been friends for 7 or 8 years now, so it wasn’t something where it was intimidating or unfamiliar. Of course because of who he is, it was very humbling for me to have him want to be such a tremendous part of this. He really is incredibly talented. His musical director Alan Chang served as co producer. Alan is a genius. He’s got a great sensitivity and understanding of the music and he brings a dimension and life to it that may not have existed before. He and I also co wrote 2 of the tunes.

How did you come about your recording process?

We did some of it in LA, some in Vancouver where Mike is from. Took 5 years!! Oy. But it’s done now...whew.

What has been your biggest success?

I think getting to wake up every day and do what I love. They say if you do what you love, you never work a day in your life. It’s so true. Don’t get me wrong, there are struggles and obstacles as with everything in life, but those moments make you appreciate the victories that much more.

What has been your biggest hardship?

Being away from my family.

What are your future plans?

Get this album out and hit the road! Hubby, babies...all that good stuff eventually, but I think I’ll give it a little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment