Sunday, June 17, 2012

Liz Lawrence


Liz Lawrence is an acoustic singer/songwriter from London, England. Starting in the punk rock and ska scene, she has been able to show an edgy style to her music. 

She describes her music as, “bittersweet, romantic, melodic, honest, homemade and sentimental.” 

“I like to think I take the strength and emotion from the high octane records I grew myself up on and use that energy on stage,” Lawrence said.

Performing live has been the most enjoyable experience in her career, according to Lawrence.

“I love the studio process and the intricacies, I love production and arrangement and the control, but the product is totally different to what you get taking the song at face value and playing live,” Lawrence said. “On the tight-rope or the trapeze, live performance leaves nowhere to hide, it heightens your senses, it’s exhilarating and difficult and you will never play or see the same show twice.”

Lawrence’s latest album, “Bedroom Hero,” focuses on song writing. 

“I wanted to express the feelings of excitement, sacrifice and fragility that songwriters subject themselves to in order to create something important to people,” Lawrence said. “The album is personal but also universally aimed at the heart of the listener through the emotions of my 18- and 19-year-old self.”

Lawrence has been letting her music take her to new places.

“I’m just enjoying playing and writing at the moment and working out the plan for the album release too,” Lawrence said.

Her debut album was released on March 30th in the Republic of Ireland.


http://www.lizlawrencemusic.com/

 

How did you get your start in music?

I loved records as a kid, and dancing like a lunatic, I found music made me the purest form of happy, first listening then learning how to make my own. I started out trying to learn piano, but being impatient it wasn't quick enough for me, so the guitar did the trick, being in a punk band you didn't even need to sound good, just loud and angry.

Being previously involved in punk and ska bands, how has that impacted your music?

I think the punk and ska thing is all about attitude and agenda, I'd like to think I take the strength and emotion from the high octane records I grew myself up on and use that energy on stage to charge my songs and my delivery.

How would you define your music?

Bittersweet, romantic, melodic, honest, homemade and sentimental.

Who are some of your influences? Have you been able to perform with them?

Unfortunately most of my influences are no longer around, but I’d love to perform with Patti Smith. Also writing with Paul Simon would be incredible. Playing with Ani Difranco was quite an achievement, sharing a stage with amazing artists gives me a real thrill, like you're feeding off the same energy.

How did you get involved with Young & Lost Club?

I met the girls at young and lost playing their night at the Lock Tavern in Camden, I really love what they do.

How did you feel to be complimented by Ani Difranco?

Like any artist, affirmation from artists and people you respect is invaluable in building yourself as a confident individual, so Ani Difranco complimenting a new song I played out when supporting her led to the song,( called "When I Was Younger") being recorded for the album. Which I'm awfully glad it did as I cherish that song dearly and feel that her support supported me in keeping it.

What is your favorite instrument to play and why?

I love to sing. Singing is so liberating and good for you. It's an outlet that you carry with you everywhere and that everyone understands. I think it's amazing that we as human beings took our voices and made them so beautiful, the vibrations go straight through your body to and from your core.

What is your inspiration for the songs you write?

I guess at the moment it's all the things I’m experiencing for the first time.. Leaving home, Falling in Love, learning about who I am and what I believe in now that I stand on my own two feet, making mistakes and trying to be better.

What is the story behind your latest album, “Bedroom Hero” and how did you come about its recording process?

Bedroom Hero is a homage to the Song writer. The album is named after the title track "Bedroom Hero" which explores ideas of genius and fraud. As an artist a question you always ask yourself is, "Is this any good?", I wanted to express the feelings of excitement, sacrifice and fragility that songwriters subject themselves to in order to create something important to people. The album is personal but also universally aimed at the heart of the listener through the emotions of my 18 and 19 year old self.

How has your music changed since you first started?

Massively, and how could it not? I'd like it to keep changing for the rest of my years.

Why do you like to perform live rather than in the studio?

I wouldn't necessarily compare the two as I see them as totally different processes. I love the studio process and the intricacies, I love production and arrangement and the control, but the product is totally different to what you get taking the song at face value and playing live. On the tight-rope or the trapeze, live performance leaves nowhere to hide, it heightens your senses, it's exhilarating and difficult and you will never play or see the same show twice.

If you had the chance to perform anywhere, where would you go?

I'd love to play in Tokyo, and I’d also like to play in Berlin and San Francisco would be amazing too. I'd love for my music to allow me to travel… anywhere and everywhere.

What are your future plans?

I used to make a lot of plans, but quickly learnt that in this life and this business it's difficult for the world to stick to your plans. So I'm just enjoying playing and writing at the moment and working out the plan for the Album release too.

What do you like to do when you’re not playing music?

I love to read, and listen to records, and having quiet time, and then eat good food and drink wine and talk a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment